jaycee

Bibliobimbo

If there was a Reader's Anonymous, my family would probably have shunted me off into rehab already.

Cold Comfort Farm (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons, Lynne Truss, Roz Chast Well, I have wanted to read this book for several years, but haven't been able to get it. Finally got my hands on it though our local university, and I can say that it was worth the wait. Absolutely hilarious! Flora Poste has been left an orphan at the tender age of 19. Having no marketable skills, she decides to mooch off family until such a time as she can get married, much to the disapproval of her friend, the brassiere-collecting Mrs. Smiling. She winds up going to stay with her cousins at Cold Comfort Farm, a scathing send-up of a certain type of establishment found in far too many overwrought Gothic-tinged British novels. Being a practical, tidy sort of person, she immediately goes about turning the inhabitants of CCF from melodramatic stereotypes into decent sorts of people...or at least getting them out of the farm and into real life.I laughed so hard. Gibbons writing is dead on when she is mocking the florid language and ridiculous characterizations of a certain type of Victorian novel. An added bonus is that our cool-headed heroine is not exempt from the teasing--although we certainly are on Flora's side, we are able to see that, in her own way, she is quite as silly as her country cousins. Don't miss the movie, either--Ian McKellan alone makes it worth seeing.